Reidar Sollid's Blog

Just another site

RustyCage a Rust-lang IDE plugin for Eclipse

with 21 comments

I have created a Rust plugin for Eclipse, so here is a small intro how to use it.

First you need to chose the Rust perspective.

If you want code completion from the std libs, you need to download the rust source code and add rust home your rust preferences.

Then in the Rust perspective chose New RustProject

This opens the rust project wizard.

The default is lib, so if you want a executable you need to check of the lib check box. And fill inn version and author. Here is an example.

Press Finnish and your rust project is created. A crate file is created for your project.

No you probably want a rust file, chose new rust file.

This will open the new rust file wizard. Give the file a name. The must be a .rs or .rc file.

Then your crate file has been updated with your new rust file.

Now enter your code in the rust file. And you have the compile and the run buttons in your task bar. Compile and run uses the context of the file you are in, so you can either compile the crate or just one file.

Compile output in the console window.

And finally press the run button and you get the result in the console window.

You can fetch the plugin via github from

Or get it from update site

RustyCage is writen in Scala so you need the Scala compiler to install it.

Build your own update site with maven and tycho

Written by reidarsollid

March 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Posted in Rust, software

21 Responses

1. The update site seems not to work; says no software available! Using eclipse Keppler.

Michael Erdmann

October 3, 2013 at 7:36 am

2. Actually the link on this page is wrong; correct seems to be

During installation i get the following issues:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
    Software being installed: RustyCage (
    Missing requirement: Scala Plugin 3.0.0.v-2_10-201303191346-dac2f1c (org.scala-ide.sdt.core 3.0.0.v-2_10-201303191346-dac2f1c) requires ‘bundle org.eclipse.jdt.core [3.6.0,3.7.10)’ but it could not be found
    Missing requirement: Scala Plugin 3.0.1.v-2_10-201307110731-b1c1861 (org.scala-ide.sdt.core 3.0.1.v-2_10-201307110731-b1c1861) requires ‘bundle org.eclipse.jdt.core [3.6.0,3.7.10)’ but it could not be found
    Cannot satisfy dependency:
    From: RustyCage (
    To: org.scala-ide.sdt.core 0.0.0

Michael Erdmann

October 3, 2013 at 10:05 am

• Sorry for late response, the link is wrong thanks for letting me know.
      RustyCage is written in Scala so the installer needs the Scala compiler. I thought I managed to add it with the plugin but it might be out of date. If you add the Scala IDE from this site it should work.

Hope you get it working.

Best regards

October 6, 2013 at 8:04 pm

3. Hi, really nice see a rust ide and even better using scala instead java :D.. Now I whish to know what features are implemented now and what are missing… Thank so much and I hope have a bit time for install this and give a try…. .

October 14, 2013 at 3:57 am

4. Nice, can you put it up on the eclipse marketplace so that it is easy to install?

November 13, 2013 at 8:51 pm

• Hi, right now it is not stable enough to be added to the marketplace. Mayhaps when Rust is in 1.0 it is stable enough. I don’t think adding a updatesite is a lot of work 😉

January 2, 2014 at 5:21 pm

5. Hello

I executed every step as indicated but have not been able to get autocomplete to work
    Am I missing anything else ..

I downloaded the tar ball as indicated and even added the directory as rust home

Not sure what I am missing

chetan conikee

January 6, 2014 at 1:26 am

• Hi,

The Rust libs have changed names, so the code complete is broken right now. I am working on a fix.

January 6, 2014 at 10:46 am

• With 0.9 .. Any ETA on the release?
        Look forward to it

chetan conikee

January 10, 2014 at 6:24 pm

• Mayhaps during this weekend, but I should have something at the end of next week. I have made a twitter handle for RustyCage where I plan to announce the releases, @rustycage_ide .I will let you know here as well.

January 10, 2014 at 9:17 pm

• I have released new update site and a zip archive of the plugin on Sourceforge. Code complete works for prelude now and for libstd and libextra. Please do not thrust code complete 100% it is only suggestions.

January 13, 2014 at 5:52 pm

6. Hi, which, version of eclipse is required? I have latest on mac os x maverics, plugin installed, but rust related menu items are not visible

June 17, 2014 at 9:09 am

• Hi, the supported Eclipse version is Keppler. You need to install the Scala Dev Tools first.

June 18, 2014 at 11:14 am

• This is very strange – i have kepler, scala 2.10.2, scala dev tools in eclipse – but don’t see rust item in main menu, but in installed plugins i see RustyCage

June 18, 2014 at 1:57 pm

• I have the same issue … plugin is installed but shows up in no menus.

Eclipse Version: Luna (4.4) Build id: I20140606-1215

Ben Christensen

July 18, 2014 at 7:43 pm

• I do not support Luna, only Keppler.

July 18, 2014 at 7:50 pm

7. Do you have a plan add support to latest changes (breakable) in rust (v 0.11)?

June 18, 2014 at 2:01 pm

• Yes, hopefully during this weekend.

July 5, 2014 at 3:14 pm

• Installed on Eclipse Luna on windows successfully ,but don’t work. Paths generated by plugin is incorrect on windows. Paths like “\Q:\projects\eclipse\rust\src\rust.rc” with slash before disk letter. Fix this pls.
        What about 0.11-nightly? BTW Thanks for plugin

July 18, 2014 at 7:34 pm

• I do not have a windows system and for that reason do not support windows. If you wan’t to add windows support you are more than welcome.

July 18, 2014 at 7:51 pm